Santa Teresa di Riva
Santa Teresa di Riva is a municipality on the Ionian coast of Messina. According to historians, the origins date back to the IX-VIII century BC by Phoenician colonizers. They founded, on the coast where today is Santa Teresa di Riva, Tamàr, a small commercial station.
Then the current territory of Santa Teresa di Riva has hosted a Greek-Roman settlement called “Phoinix”. During the Middle Ages, it was annexed to Savoca city and was known for many centuries as "Marina di Savoca". During this period, the coasts played a fundamental defense role against Saracen pirate attacks.
For this reason, several defensive towers have been built. The most know and still existing is the “Torre Saracena”, but also the Catalmo and Baglio towers are still visible.
The history of Santa Teresa as municipality began in 1812 when it became independent from the city of Savoca and took the current name of "Santa Teresa" in honour of Maria Theresa of Hapsburg-Teschen. The suffix "di Riva" has been added to highlight and enhance one of the city’s most important resource, the sea. Today, Santa Teresa di Riva has been awarded with the “Bandiera Blu” (a recognition about the good quality level of services, beaches, etc.). This led the town to acquire a prominent position in the Ionian coast as a tourist center and ideal destination for summer holidays both for young people and families.